Article source: http://www.articlesfactory.com/. Used with author's permission.
There’s a simple idea in the world of online business that everyone agrees with: more people seeing your web site = more potential customers = more business.
But beyond this simple point, agreement among internet know-hows tends to go out the window. Everyone, it seems, has an opinion on the best way to increase web site traffic – and surprisingly, not many of them agree.
There are probably many reasons for this lack of agreement. But of these many reasons, there are two big ones. The first reason most online advice-givers don’t agree on how to increase web site traffic is that there’s not one perfect way to go about it. Web site traffic can be improved in a handful of different ways.
The second reason, as you’ve probably noticed, is that most people giving advice have something they’d like to sell you. They want to sell you a solution and their advice needs to be related to what they’re selling.
Whether or not these sales people have your best interest in mind is open to question. But what’s not open to question, is the fact that there ARE many different ways to increase website traffic.
And of these many ways, there are 5 that have a history of being very reliable and effective. Not only do these 5 methods have a high performance record, but at least one of these five is essential for anyone that wants to have a regular flow of new customers to their web site. And the good news is, 4 of these 5 methods can be done with little or no money.
If you’re serious about bringing more traffic to your website - and tired of wading through online advice - take some time to consider these 5 time-tested ways before you invest another minute:
1. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – This is probably the most recommended way to increase web site traffic. And for good reason: it works. Having your website atop search engines like Google and Yahoo! is a sure fire way to bring people to your site. Where this method often gets confusing is in the number of different ways that people suggest doing it. Some tell you to use your keywords often in the text of your web page. Some tell you to put your keyword phrase in the alternate text of your images. Others tell you that the key to a high search-engine ranking is to have other related sites link to your site. And all of this advice is correct. There are other steps to take as well, but the problem is, not many sites give you all of the needed steps in an organized way. I’ve included a link below with a detailed explanation of all of these steps.
2. Newsletters – A newsletter is nothing more than a series of pre-written e-mails that are sent to people who request them from a form on your web site. There are a few tools, like auto responders, that help make this task easy and efficient. Newsletters are a very powerful because they give you an opportunity to build credibility and make repeat customers out of the customers you already have.
3. Article Directories – Article directories are websites that take submitted articles and store them in a data base so online magazines and newsletters can use them for publication. The exchange that takes place is this: you write an article and allow any website to publish your article. In return, they are obliged to leave your name and e-mail address in the byline of the article. When your article is published online, a link to your site is also published, and potential customers who read your article are likely to come see your website. If your article is published in multiple online sources, a link to your site is also published in multiple online sources. A well written article can be picked up over and over again. In the end, you’ll have a regular source of new customers without spending anything more time than it takes to write the article.
4. Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC) – PPC advertising, like search engine optimization, is also a very talked-about way of bringing traffic to a site. The idea here is that search engines advertise your business web site and you pay a particular fee each time someone clicks on your link and comes to your site. All of the major search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and MSN have PPC advertising programs. Depending on the market you’re selling to, PPC can be a very profitable way to bring interested customers to your site. On the down side, it’s the only one of these five ways that is sure to take some kind of money investment.
5. Improving Your Website – This sounds very basic but it’s often overlooked. It doesn’t do a lot of good to bring potential customers to your website if your site is not ready to serve them. Any profitable website needs to be attractive, easy-to-use, and professional. Making sure your site has all three of these traits will go a long way towards making the most of the people that do see your site.
By taking some time to consider the 5 methods above, you’ll not only be familiar with the 5 most proven ways to increase traffic. But you’ll also have a way to measure and organize the other traffic-increasing advice you find online.
In the end, making an informed effort to increase website traffic is never a bad idea. It can lead to better business exposure. It can lead to huge increases in customers. And it will definitely lead you to more profitable and productive online business.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
Eli Pedelty is an online business adviser that has made a career out of helping business owners turn their websites into a profitable aspect of overall business. If you’d think you could benefit from a more detailed explanation of the 5 methods mentioned above, sign-up for his free 5-day course, Direct Methods for Increasing Web Site Traffic, at http://www.elipedelty.com.