Hay Fever Medication
Hay Fever Medication
Author: Sven Ullmann
Article source: http://www.articlesfactory.com/. Used with author's permission.
Hay fever or allergic rhinitis is usually caused by a reaction to pollen, Trees, grass and weeds are the most common sources of pollen grains that are dispersed in the air.
The illness' symptoms include headache, itching nose, mouth, eyes, throat and skin, runny nose, watery eyes and wheezing. You can be tested for hay fever through blood test or skin prick test. Since it is possible you are not only allergic to a single kind of pollen, you should expect to be tested for different pollen sources. There are many available medication used today to treat hay fever symptoms. You should remember that the objective of these medications is to treat the symptoms. The best way still is to avoid the possible cause of your allergy. Medications for hay fever include:
- Antihistamines- there are three kinds of antihistamines: fast-acting, short-acting and long-acting. Fast-acting antihistamines are usually given to treat the symptoms after the hay fever episode. Example of this type of anti-histamine is chlorphenamine. Short-acting antihistamines, like loratadine and azelastine, treat mild and moderate symptoms. They are usually bought over the counter without a prescription. You should be careful in taking this antihistamine since it can cause drowsiness. On the other hand, long-acting antihistamine does not result to drowsiness. They could also be as effective as the other antihistamines. Examples include cetirizine and fexofenadine.
- Leukotriene receptor antagonists: this particular type of medication is very effective, without causing drowsiness in the person. Since they are long-acting, doctors instruct patients to take it only once a day. Montelukast and zafirlukast are examples of this medication.
- Corticosteroid nasal sprays: considered to be safer than oral medication, nasal sprays are as effective in relieving symptoms of hay fever. Some examples of this medication are fluticasone, budesonide, mometasone, triaamcinolone and beclomethasone.
- Topical decongestant: as the name implies, this medication relieves nasal decongestion which is the most common symptom of hay fever. Doctors do not advice using this medication for long periods since it can result to drug-induced nasal congestion.
- Cromolyn sodium: this medication acts to prevent your mast cells from releasing the histamine which causes the symptoms. The medication is available as nasal spray or eye drop. It relieves nasal congestion and conjunctivitis. Examples of this drug are Nasalcrom and Crolom.
- Allergy shots: this treatment is recommended for people regularly exposed to the specific allergen and whose symptoms are getting more difficult to manage. This involves regular allergen injection at increasing dosages, forcing the body to adapt to the presence of the allergen. This therapy is the most expensive and is usually performed as a last resort. The risk of causing a secondary allergy like asthma is also high.
- Herbal remedies: herbs such as eyebright, nettle and bayberry are known to relieve nasal congestion. Turmeric and feverfew, on the other hand, have shown to be effective in treating hay fever by reducing inflammation of the mucosa. These hay fever medications or treatments should be performed under close supervision of your doctor to safeguard you from adverse drug reactions.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
Article by Sven Ullmann, who runs Deserved Health - information on health for you and your family. Read more about popular hay fever medications.
Secret Spider Generator.
The Key to Google's Back Door.
Go to page: [ 1 ]
I have suffered from these nasty critters [tonsil stones] for years. I just accepted that I would always have them. However, since using the tonsil stone remedy I learned about on tonsilstones.net, I have not experienced even one tonsil stone.
- Mike, Missouri USA
Use this form to comment on an article. Your comments will be displayed below the article. Don't bother advertising your website here. It will not be approved.
Don't risk losing your irreplaceable computer files. Protect them automatically with MyPC Backup. Free Trial